Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Follow That Man!

A cabby bellies up to the bar at Carmen’s and spills his guts to his amigos on a daily basis. That’s me and tonight I have a story to tell, a new experience.
So I pick up this little girl, 13 years max, at the library and she gets in my cab. Air-conditioning broken, I am sweating raindrops. It’s 110 degrees out and all I can think about is slugging down an ice cold one. I am counting down in my head the amount of time before I arrive at the bar.
The girl, she had to be new to town. No one carries a sweater in the daytime here and she is wearing long pants and Uggs. I don’t recognize her face and so I figure she will have me drop her off at her grandma’s or somewhere close in.
“Where to, Miss?”
“You see that Mexican restaurant across the street? In about five minutes, a man is going to come out of that restaurant, and I want you to follow him.” Her eyes were boring a hole in my neck.
“Sure, right, seriously, where to?”
“I am serious, Mister, please believe me. I need you to follow him”, her voice breaking like ice cracking and tears were forming in her eyes.
I meet her eyes in the rearview and they spell heartbreak.
“Okay, okay I will do this for you if you tell me why.” Every nerve in my body was turning to mush. I never could stand to see a woman cry, let alone a child.
The words came slowly as she told me “The man I want you to follow is my father. He has an appointment to meet a man and to kill him. I was hiding on the floor of the back seat of my father’s car to get down here. I was just at the library looking up this medication that when mixed with alcohol will work slowly to end this man’s life. For the sum of $50,000 and the bottle of medicine, which he is receiving right now at that restaurant from the man’s wife, my father will go to where she tells him and put this medicine in the man’s drink while he is not looking.”
“How do you know this?”, the sweat now coming for a different reason than the weather.
“Because I read the email from her to my father while I heard my dad and mom arguing. My dad needs the money for my baby brother’s operation. I have to stop him”. Desperation was written all over her face.
I see the guy exit the restaurant in the car she told me was his. We follow him a car length behind. We follow him to Carmen’s where he exits the car.
A cabby bellies up to the bar at Carmen’s and spills his guts to his amigos on a daily basis. That’s me and tonight I have the rest of a story to tell.



Not my creative story but I still thought it was pretty good! Enjoy:)

No comments:

Post a Comment